Managing Director, FUKUTOKUSHA K.K.
Taku is an expert of market strategy development for retail business, providing strategic advice to various categories of retail business including food & beverage, merchandising and cosmetics. Prior to become an academic specialized in service marketing and store development strategy, Taku developed thousands of real estate locationing analytics for McDonald’s Japan and Starbucks Coffee Japan utilizing his statistical modeling and financial analysis skills.
Assistant Professor of Marketing, Kyorin University
Visiting Assaistnt Professor of Marketing, Mejiro University
Visiting Assistant Professor of Marketing, Tokyo Gakugei University
- Research interests: Service Marketing, Store Development Strategy, Quantitative Analysis of Consumer Behavior
Starbucks Coffee Japan, Ltd. (2000-2010)
Real Estate Research Team Manager, Real Estate Department, Store Development
Strategic Planning Team Manager, Corporate Planning
- As a specialist of store development analysis, supported Starbucks Coffee Japan Store Development with market intelligence throughout their growth history from 100 stores up to reaching nearly 1000 stores, including; drafted store development plans, built and updated statistical new store sales forecasting models, provided existing store sales analysis (including competition, cannibalization and store segmentation analysis etc.), built and updated store development potential analysis by area, etc.
- Under the management expectation to serve as a “gatekeeper” to avoid building unprofitable stores, checked almost all the new sites and provided analysis with independent opinion. Provided consultation to store development managers and together visited thousands of new site locations.
- Provided regular workshop to store development managers.
- As a marketing research specialist, supported other departments upon conducting various research including customer satisfaction, turnover, brand health, etc.
Marketing Center Co., Ltd. (1998 – 2000)
Research Planning Division for McDonald’s Japan Store Development
- As a key member of McGIS (McDonald’s Geographic Information System) development project, took charge of building statistical new store sales forecasting models.
- Developed area marketing plans to optimize store locations within the marketplace in partnership with McDonald’s Japan Store Development.
- Provided data and analysis to McDonald’s Japan Store Development in order to support their accelerated growth plan.
Research Planning Division (for A Convenience Store and other clients)
- Developed statistical new store sales forecasting model for A Convenience Store chain and A Cinema Complex chain.
- Conducted research and provided analysis to clients including A major beverage company and A major auto manufacturer.
Recently, Taku has provided consultancy to major companies from various business categories, including;
- For an eye-care product retailer: Developed statistical new store sales forecasting model. Provided data and analysis to support store expansion plan including competitive analysis, cannibalization analysis of existing stores, market analysis.
- For a cosmetics retailer: Developed store development potential analysis.
- For a steak chain restaurant: Developed new store sales forecasting model.
- For a cafe & sweets chain: Developed store development plan upon their Japan market entry.
- For a cafe & pasta chain: Provided existing store sales analysis and developed sales forecasting model.
1995 BA: Keio University, Faculty of Commerce (Major: Marketing)
1998 MA: Tokyo Institute of Technology, Interdisciplinary Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Department of Computational Intelligence and Systems Science
2006 Doctor Course: Keio University, Graduate School of Commerce
2005 Overseas Education: Copenhagen Business School
2013 Doctor Course: Tokyo Institute of Technology, Interdisciplinary Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Department of Computational Intelligence and Systems Science
- Japan Association for Consumer Studies
- Japan Marketing Research Association
- Should Service Retailers Expand Store Network Nationally? Case Study of Cramming School Business in Japan, International Review of Management and Business Research, Vol. 4 Issue. 2
- Store Development Strategies of Mini-box Service Retailers: Analytical Framework and Case Study in Japanese Food Service, International Journal of Marketing Studies, Vol. 4, No. 4; 2012, pp. 1-12.
- Dynamics of Mini-box Service Retailers’ Store Network Management, International Business Research, Vol. 6, No.1; 2013, pp. 54-62.